OUR LORD’S LUTHERAN CHURCH
CARE & CONCERN COMMITTEE
WORSHIP VISITOR FOLLOW-UP VISIT
- Always pray before you go on a call. Be assured that you are not
alone as you make these calls. The Holy Spirit will guide you.
- Keep your visit short, gentle and non-coercive. Remember: your unannounced
visit may interfere with a person’s schedule. Do not go into a
person’s house, even if invited. They may be inviting you in out
of a sense of obligation. You have no reason to keep them for very long
any way. Your role is simply to be hospitable.
- When the person answers the door, take a step back to suggest a non-threatening
posture and introduce yourself: "Hi, I’m ______ from Our
Lord’s Lutheran Church. I’m glad that you joined us for
worship and I’ve brought this packet of material for you."
- Then pause, and listen. The impact of your visit will NOT be in what
you say, but in your presence. Be warm and available to offer information,
if asked. If you do not know the answer, tell them so and offer to pass
the request on to the appropriate person. If they initiate conversation,
respond accordingly, but keep in mind that you do NOT want to keep them
long. If they are in need of a pastoral call, please let them know that
you will tell the Pastor. The importance of your visit communicates
three things: (a) You love Christ; (b) Your faith and your Church are
important to you; and (c) This is a Church where visitors are welcomed
- Thank them as you leave and be sure to invite them back. "Thank
you for visiting Our Lord’s. Please accept these goodies from
us. I look forward to seeing you again."
- After you leave their home, please write down any information that
you feel is important.
- If the person is not at home when you visit, write a brief note explaining
that you were there and invite them to worship again at Our Lord’s
soon. Leave it, along with any information, in a safe and visible place
- If you are unable to leave materials because of a security gate/system,
do not attempt to get around a security system. Even with the best of
intentions, this is violation of a person’s privacy. If possible,
leave a handwritten note.
- If you see the person and/or their family at a subsequent worship
service, please re-introduce yourself and introduce the person to others.
- Please pass along any questions and/or concerns to the appropriate
person(s). For example, Stephen Minister referrals may be made to: Pastor
Dealey, Mary O, or Joan V.
Know that we thank God for your gifts of hospitality and for your willingness