of Youth Ministry
John's Lutheran Church, 1804 Highland Ave. Eau Claire, WI
POSITION: Director of Youth Ministry
Operational Supervisor: Associate Pastor
General Supervisor: Sr. Pastor
Position Purpose: To direct and lead youth programming
for Middle School and High School age youth. The Director of
Youth Ministry shall seek to foster Christian community
through building relationships with young people that
strengthen their commitment to the church and growth in
faith in Jesus Christ.
Responsibilities: Subject to review and adjustment in
conjunction with the supervising pastor and the Youth
Ministry (YM) and the Congregational Council (when
appropriate), the following constitute the major
responsibilities of the Director Of Youth Ministry of
St. John's Lutheran Church.
of Youth Ministry shall:
Provide leadership for and function as the primary staff
person relating to the YM.
2. Oversee the recruitment and training of adult
volunteers to work with Middle and High School age
3. Plan and implement age appropriate activities for
Middle and High School age youth that promote community
through fellowship, fun and faith development. Such
activities might include; musicals and dramatic
presentations, small group Bible study, retreats and
4. Work with the YM in preparation of an annual
5. Coordinate fund-raising activities that support
special youth activities and trips.
6. Promote Christian service through age appropriate
7. Work with other Church Youth Directors to support an
intra-Lutheran Church High School Youth Group in which
youth directors and youth work together to proclaim the
gospel as traditionally understood by Lutheran
1. Be a
part of the worshiping community of St. John's Lutheran
Church on a regular basis, taking part in the means of
2. Attend weekly staff meetings, monthly YM meetings, and
any other meetings required by the supervising
3. Meet regularly with supervising pastor as needed at a
time mutually agreed upon.
4. Coordinate youth activities with other ministries of
the congregation in cooperation with staff.
5. Be in contact with office staff and provide a timely
and accurate schedule of Youth activities. Keep the
congregation informed of youth events by coordinating the
publicity for youth activities through the appropriate
vehicles provided by the church. (e.g. monthly
newsletter, special mailings, posters, bulletin
announcements, web page, etc.) Provide monthly reports
for the Congregational Council and a year end report for
6. Manage the disbursement of budgeted funds for Youth
Ministry within the guidelines of the approved budget and
in adherence with the purchasing policies of the
7. Provide for the keeping of administrative records
(requested by the YM, Congregational Council, and
supervising pastor) needed to provide the YM and
Congregational Council information needed for future
planning. Such records would include but not be limited
to: Individual fund-raising accounts, and files on
fund-raisers, program activities for use in future
planning (to include attendance, cost and adult
volunteers) consent forms.
8. Encourage young people to participate in all facets of
the life of the community of faith, including worship,
choirs, educational opportunities, youth activities,
synodical activities, Bible Camp and service projects,
9. Refer prospective families for membership and unusual
circumstances where follow-up is desirable to the
10. Assist pastors and Confirmation Ministry in
confirmation instruction as requested.
Working Conditions The position of Director of Youth
Ministry requires great flexibility in hours available for
work, including evenings and weekends. The position is a
full time, salaried position and while the salary is based
upon a projected 40 Ins. per week, the actual number of
hours required during any given week are those needed to
fulfill the responsibilities of the position. Furthermore it
is recognized that the schedule may vary at different times
of the year. It is therefore understood that the Director
of Youth Ministry shall:
Maintain some regularly scheduled office hours in order
to be accessible to youth, parents, staff and the
leadership of the congregation.
2. Keep the church office informed as to how the Youth
Director can be contacted.
3. Notify the staff prior to all unforeseen and untimely
absences from regularly scheduled events, and provide a
suitable substitute in the case of anticipated absence
4. In the case of extended time away from the office
arrange to receive messages.
5. Be familiar with and operate within the guidelines set
forth in the lay staff handbook
computer, voice mail, email, Internet services, duplicating
and secretarial support is provided by the congregation for
work related to this position.
Supervising pastor must approve continuing education.
Qualifications Since the Youth Director plays a major
role in the faith development of the younger members of the
church, both as a leader, and as an example, St. John's
seeks a professional leader who has a solid understanding of
the foundations of the Christian faith, Lutheran tradition
and who has a strong desire to nurture young people in the
Christian faith. We seek a person who generates new ideas
and programs and a person who values a team concept of
ministry. Therefore the following qualifications are
Youth and Family Ministry, Education or significant
experience in Youth Ministry.
2. The ability to work with youth and adults.
3. Good organizational skills.
St. John's Lutheran Church values its brothers and
sisters who have received a call to
support and nurture the faith of our young Christians. We
therefore on our part will:
1. Encourage, pray and support you as a leader in this
2. Support you with a salary package competitive with
similar positions in the area the details of which can be
negotiated depending upon your needs.
3. Provide you with paid time off in accordance with the
Lay Staff guidelines of the congregation.
4. Review the terms of your employment on an annual