Position Purpose: The Senior Pastor is to provide
spiritual and pastoral leadership to the membership of First
Lutheran Church. The Senior Pastor will serve as the chief
administrator of the congregation so that it might fulfill
its mission and purpose as the body of Christ. The Senior
Pastor will preach, teach, and administer the Sacraments and
give primary leadership in the ministries of Worship,
Administration, Stewardship, and Outreach.
Supervision: The Senior Pastor serves under the
supervision of the Church Council.
Responsibilities: Subject to review and adjustment
in conjunction with the Church Council, the following
constitute the major responsibilities of the Senior
- To regularly preach and teach the Word of God and
administer the Sacraments in the congregation.
- To plan and lead worship in conjunction with the
other pastors of the parish, the minister of music, and
the Board of Worship and Music.
- To officiate at special services such as weddings,
funerals, nursing home services, etc.
- To work with the minister of music to develop and
maintain a music program for all ages and to integrate
music into worship and other areas of the
- To oversee the administration and management of all
areas of the congregation's ministry in consultation with
the Church Council and appropriate boards, committees and
- To support and assist the Associate Pastor(s) and
staff who have primary responsibility in the ministries
of education, youth, social action, pastoral care,
fellowship, health, and older adults.
- To support, supervise, manage and evaluate, in
conjunction with the Human Resource Committee and Church
Council, the staff of the congregation. Participate in
the screening and hiring of non-ordained staff and
calling of ordained staff. To build a sense of team-work
among church staff and hold regular staff meetings to
coordinate the ministries of the church and facilitate
- To work with the Board of Property to see that the
facilities of the church are functional and in good
- To serve as the staff representative to the
Board of Worship and Music
First Lutheran Church Foundation
Board of Property
Men of First Lutheran Church
Board of Business Management
Board of Stewardship
Human Resources Committee
- To work with the Stewardship Board to promote,
educate, and advocate responsible biblical stewardship
in the congregation.
- To assist the Church Council and Business Management
Board with financial matters of the congregation.
- To oversee and promote congregational benevolence and
mission through ongoing synodical support and by meeting
community needs as they arise.
- To work with the Outreach Committee to implement
ministries that reach out to the unchurched, inactives
and new residents of our community with the good news of
the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- To direct the assimilation of new members into the
life of the congregation in conjunction with the boards,
committees and organizations of the congregation.
- To encourage all organizations and ministries of the
church to carry out their work with an emphasis on
welcoming others to participate in the mission work of
V. General Pastoral Responsibilities
- To provide pastoral care by assisting the Associate
Pastor(s) and in conjunction with other staff, boards
committees, and member care-givers through visitation,
counseling, and prayer
- To make appropriate referrals when necessary and
quickly respond to crisis situations which arise in the
- To assist the Associate Pastor in teaching children,
youth, and adults in the Christian education program of
The position of Senior Pastor requires great flexibility
in hours available for work, including evenings and
weekends. The pastor should be in the office a sufficient
amount of time for accessibility to members of the
congregation and for regular communication with members of
the church staff.