JOHN'S LUTHERAN CHURCH
The Office Manager is a key person in the organizational
functions of St. John's congregation. That person directs
the physical operations of the church office and plays an
important role in communication and coordination of church
activities and in supporting and supervising paid and
volunteer office staff.
Facilitate communication and planning by participating in
the weekly St. John's staff meeting and attending the
monthly Finance Committee, Church Council, Annual
Congregation, and any other church meeting.
2 Plan and Schedule office staff work assignments.
3. Supervise and support the Parish Secretary, Membership
Secretary, any temporary or part-time office help and
volunteers who help with office tasks.
4. Support the pastors, staff and membership of St.
5. Coordinate and communicate information and activities
among staff, committees, council members and any other
groups within the organizational structure of St.
6. Responsible for the day to day physical operations of
the church office includes: inventory control of office
supplies, allocation of the Church and Office Budget, and
assurance of a pleasing atmosphere for visitors, members
7. Coordinate written information for publication in the
Sunday and special bulletins, monthly newsletter, annual
congregation report and special publications and
assignment of composition and word processing.
8. Ensure master calendar for all church activities is
updated and maintained.
9. Ensure accurate church records of membership roles,
pastoral acts, financial re ports, and minutes of the
Church Council and committees are generated and
10. Administer a semi-monthly payroll and record and file
such information with the I.R.S. quarterly.
11. Keep records on all personnel of St. John's Lutheran
12. Responsible for handling employees benefit packages
ie. deductions, payments, interaction with
representatives for medical, dental, worker's
compensation, tax deferred plans, etc.
13. Maintain the church's accounting by recording
receipts, paying Finance approved bills monthly,
delegating expenses to appropriate funds and preparing
monthly financial reports for the Finance Committee and
Congregation Council to review.
14. Coordinate and consolidate yearly financial
information for budget preparation.
15. Develop and administer the Church and Office Budget
in consultation with the Sr. Pastor.
16. Receive monies for St. John's Cemetery grave sites
sold and issuing receipts and deeds for same.
17. Supervise the management and maintenance of all
computers, office equipment, phones, and machines.
18. Plan and oversee office layout/arrangement and
purchase of office furniture and equipment.
19. Keep informed and updated on present and future
methods and technology for maintaining an efficient
office, to have knowledge of the church's organizational
function at local, District and National level and to
have an understanding of the church's goal at all
20. Issue vouchers from the Good Samaritan Fund after
visiting with individuals asking for assistance - ie.
food, gas, medical, utilities, etc.
21. Receive rent monies and issue receipts to outside
groups utilizing the facility.
22. Hold office staff meetings weekly or as needed.
23. Interview and hire office staff with member of
Personnel Committee and Sr. Pastor.
24. Conduct an annual evaluation for supervised employees
as outlined in the personnel policies.
25. Be familiar with and function within the guidelines
of the Lay
and Policies of St. John's Lutheran Church.
DUTIES PERFORMED BY OFFICE MANAGER
Word Processing /Typing
Correspondence from church office and/or pastors.
2. Generate minutes for the following: Congregation
Council Meetings, Special Congregation Council Meetings,
Annual Congregation Meetings, Special Congregation
Meetings, and Finance Meetings.
3. Ensure Sunday Bulletins, Special Bulletins, Monthly
Newsletters and Annual Report schedules are met.
Ensure Pastoral acts on regular basis are printed in the
church bulletin and typed in a permanent record book at
2. Maintain files on important church documents, Council
Minutes, Financial reports, Annual Reports, etc.
3. Ensure the Master Calendar is updated and published by
week in the bulletin and monthly in the newsletter for
Records and Reports
Record receipts monthly.
2. Pay bills and record disbursements monthly.
3. Balance accounting with banks for Checking, Savings,
Perpetual Cemetery, Endowment Fund, Brougham Fund, and
Love Fund monthly.
4. Enter financial income and expense for the W/ELCA
(Women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of
5. Administer payroll semi-monthly.
Post and total each payroll period.
b. File Quarterly withholding Tax Form with the
c. Complete and distribute W-2 Tax Forms for employees
at year end.
d. File Year End Tax Forms along with W-2 Tax Forms to
Federal and State Government.
6. Prepare a
monthly financial statement for Trustees and the Church
7. Process year end accounting, prepare accounting for an
Audit Committee annually, and publish a summarized
Financial Report in the Annual Report.
8. Budget Procedures
Provide department leaders with a budget worksheet
including previous year figures.
b. Consolidate figures for a final budget and publish
proposed next year's budget in the present year's
c. Prepare and submit proposed budget for approval for
Church and Office Income and Expense.
Equipment and Supplies
Oversee daily and weekly maintenance of office
b. Assure follow through on maintenance agreements or
c. Inventory and order office materials.
d. Issue Purchase Order Numbers for all St. John's
10. Personnel Records
Keep records of employees' sick days, overtime,
vacation days in accordance with Personnel Committee
b. Create a file for each individual employee which
should include any information relating to that
employee from the first day of employment.
Sort and distribute mail daily.
b. Assure that oral communication (both in person and
by phone) is relayed to appropriate staff person.
c. Assure requested announcements and information to
be communicated to church membership, committee
members, volunteers, etc. is followed through.